- Course Number:
- BIT 280B
- Course Title:
- Work Experience - Seminar
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides opportunities to share work experiences and receive feedback from students and instructors. Prerequisites: Department permission required. Corequisites: BIT 280A.
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed as a capstone of the combined experiences of the BIT academic program and internship work experience. The purpose of this course is to provide a bridge between the Bioscience Technology core courses and real life work experience. Students must have a designated worksite and be concurrently enrolled in BIT 280A.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students successfully completing this course will be able to:
Demonstrate scientific oral communication skills through presentations and discussions.
- Discuss and share with colleagues work experience projects in a professional and scientific manner.
- To become ready to assume a professional role in the field of Bioscience Technology.
- To develop an appreciation for other students projects and learning experiences.
Course Activities and Design
Students will present information regarding their Work Experience in a formal, professional manner. Throughout the course, the students will further develop and refine their scientific presentation and communication skills.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Outcomes are assessed through these strategies:
- Reflection writings
- Journal article presentation
- Presentation summarizing work experience
- Class discussions
- Exit interview with the Department Chair or representative
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Verbal and written scientific communication skills
- Oral presentation skills
- PowerPoint (or similar) presentation skills
- Effective communication with classmates, Work Experience Supervisor, and instructors