Course Content and Outcome Guide for BCT 129
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- BCT 129
- Course Title:
- Mechanical Plan Kitchen & Bath
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionMechanical Planning for Kitchens and Baths Covers electrical, plumbing, HVAC systems used in residential kitchens and baths. Students will become familiar with the code requirements and restrictions through the examination of remodeling case studies. Students will design general and task lighting systems for kitchens and baths.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Identify and specify kitchen and bath appliances, fixtures, fittings and equipment appropriate for customer needs and design space requirements.
2. Design energy efficient kitchen and bath lighting systems that supply appropriate general and task lighting.
3. Plan effective ventilation systems for kitchens and baths.
4. Evaluate the environmental footprint of manufacturers and their products.
5. Incorporate safe and code compliant mechanical systems into kitchen and bath designs.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Students will develop an on-line web “favorites” folder including major lighting, appliance, plumbing fixture, equipment and hardware product catalogs.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to read appliances and fixture specifications
- Students will write a three page paper comparing a choice of the following - cooking fuels, electric cook-top elements, faucet materials and construction, lighting systems, heating systems, or cooling systems
- Students will design a general and task lighting systems for a kitchen or bath
- Students will complete two multiple choice, short answer mastery exams.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, issues and concepts:
- Elements of the electrical system
- Planning for electrical needs
- Kitchen and bath lighting
- Kitchen and bath exhaust systems
- Engineering duct work for low sound and proper air movement
· Kitchen and bath plumbing systems
· Natural and bottled gas
· Heating systems
· Heat pumps
· Kitchen appliances
· Kitchen and bath plumbing fixtures
· Kitchen and bath equipment
- Research, including internet resources
- Verbal communications
- Written communications
- Critical thinking