Course Content and Outcome Guide for BCT 128
- Course Number:
- BCT 128
- Course Title:
- Exterior Finish
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers installation of various exterior siding products, material quantity calculations and labor costs. Includes installation of cedar bevel, cement composite horizontal lap, cedar shingles, fancy cut shingles and cultured stone. Covers ceiling soffits, door, window and corner trims. Introduces roofing including composition, cedar shake and shingle roofing. Covers roof flashings, vents, drip caps and valleys. Audit available Prerequisites: BCT 106 or instructor permission.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Install sidings and roofing covered to code
- Calculate material quantities and costs.
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with others
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Students will individually layout a wall siding and roofing pattern.
2. Students will individually identify conventional wall siding and roofing materials.
3. Students will collaboratively apply various wall siding and roofing materials.
4. Students will individually complete a wall siding and roofing material take-off from a plan.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, issues and concepts:
Wall material siding types
Roofing material types
Fastening systems for siding and roofing
Manufactures and mill requirements
Sheathing and building paper
Collaborative work practice
Job site safety
1. Safe and proper operation of hand and power tools.
3. Labor, material and equipment estimating.
4. Work methods.
5. Blueprint and specification reading.