- Course Number:
- BCT 122
- Course Title:
- Roof Framing I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers basic roof rafter framing methods currently used in residential construction. Includes calculations used to solve rafter lengths for various roof slopes and spans. Covers rafter nomenclature, layout assembly methods, related codes, material quantity, ceiling joist, collar ties. Includes gable roof, gambrel roof and hip roof framing. Prerequisites: BCT 104 and 106, or instructor permission. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Learners will work both individually and collaboratively in groups to produce the roof framing projects.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students shoulb be able to:
- Apply math formulas to calculate various different rafter layouts
- Use appropriate terminology when communicating with others
- Lay out walls for rafters and ceiling joists
- Cut and assemble roof parts, framed to meet current building codes
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Collaboratively complete the various hands on field projects to industry standards.
- Satisfactorily complete individual classroom estimating projects.
- Learners will display their skills by individually completing two mastery projects.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, issues and concepts
- Framing tools
- Rafter/ joist spans
- Building codes
- Construction math
- Roof and ceiling framing
- Identify the tools used in roof framing
- Demonstrate the correct usage of roof framing tools.
- Apply math skills from BCT 104 to solve roof framing math problems.
- Estimate amount of lumber required to build the various roof projects.
- Build shed roof to an existing structure.
- Layout, cut and install ceiling joists.
- Layout and cut ridge board.
- Layout, cut and install gable rafters.
- Cut and install gable end studs, barge rafters, collar ties, fascia board and bird blocking.
- Identify the parts of the hip roof.
- Layout, cut and install hip and jack rafters.
- Analyze appropriate safety regarding roof framing.
- Data analysis
- Critical thinking