Course Content and Outcome Guide for BCT 106 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- BCT 106
- Course Title:
- Hand Tool/Power Tool Use and Safety
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDevelops understanding of the hand tools and power tools used in the construction trades. Identifies commonly used hand/power tools, selecting the correct tool to complete assigned projects and working in a safe and competent manner. Emphasizes safety and care of tools. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Operate hand and power tools used by carpenters safely and effectively on the job sites.
- Select the best suited tool for the task at hand.
- Recognize safe and unsafe construction work sites conditions.
- Maintain hand and power tools for effective use and longevity.
- Research tools before purchasing.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Identify and describe the use of common carpentry hand and power tools.
- Demonstrate the safe use of common hand and power tools used in carpentry.
- Demonstrate proper maintenance of common carpentry hand and power tools.
- Collaboratively complete carpentry projects which incorporate the themes, issues and concepts of hand and power tool safety.
- Research and report on the manufacturers, quality, affordability, ergonomics, availability and service of hand and power tools.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, issues and concepts
- Cutting hand tools
- Boring hand tools
- Abrasive hand tools
- Shaping hand tools
- Cutting power tools
- Boring power tools
- Abrasive power tools
- Shaping power tools
- Leveling tools
- Measuring tools
- Fastening tools
- Pneumatic tools
- Assembly, clamping & gripping tools
- Tool maintenance
- Job safety
- Shop safety
- OSHA regulations
- Lay out and measure using a tape measure.
- Develop hand-eye coordination using hand and power tools.
- Operate power tools and use hand tools safely and effectively.
- Research and analyze data to evaluate tool attributes.
- Use critical thinking skills to determine the best tool for the task at hand.
- Work collaboratively with team member(s) to construct projects using hand and power tools.
- Recognize safe job site practices.
- Identify hand and power tools
Recognize safe use of hand and power tools.