Course Content and Outcome Guide for BA 249
- Course Number:
- BA 249
- Course Title:
- Prin/Retailing & E-tailing
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers analyzing target market, developing retail marketing mix elements, and reviewing store planning techniques used by retailers. Includes discussions of changing retailing environment and impact of government regulations. Prerequisite: WR 115, RD 115, and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Credit will be acceptable as a required and/or elective for Portland
Community College's Business Administration Certificate or Degree Programs.
This course may be transferable to four-year colleges and universities.
Course Activities and Design
Activities to enhance student learning may vary by instructor. Items may include: lecture and class discussions, guest speakers, out-of-class assignments of textbook problems, cases, and discussion questions, and a retailing project which may be a written and/or oral presentation by the student.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A letter grade is issued for this course. Evaluation procedures for determining student progress will be discussed the first week of the class. The methods may include one or more of the following tools: examinations, quizzes, out-of-class assignments, attendance/class participation, and written/oral presentations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
EXPECTED STUDENT COMPETENCIES:
Understand the background of retailing.
- Review the historical perspective of retailing.
- Understand current retail environmental factors.
- Identify career paths and human resource planning.
- Explain the various types of retail institutions.
- Identify the retail consumer dimensions.
Organize the approach to site selection, store planning, and visual merchandising.
- Discuss factors in choosing a site.
- Select an appropriate site.
- Plan store layout and design.
- Create elements for exterior and interior displays.
- Develop a plan for use of fixtures.
Develop a merchandise plan and budget.
- Describe merchandise policies and goals.
- Complete a six-month merchandise plan.
- Discuss the merchandise and vendor selection process.
- Understand inventory control systems.
- Identify factors affecting merchandise prices.
Explain the promotional elements in retailing
- Identify the types of retail advertising.
- Understand the factors of media selection.
- Develop an advertising plan and budget.
- Develop a sales promotion calendar of events.
- Explain the use of public relations.
- Create a retail sales team.
Review the factors that impact retailing.
- Describe the effect of government regulations on retailing.
- Understand the factors of international retailing.
- Discuss short-term and long-term planning for the future.
- Describe the impact of technology on retailing.
- Identify institutional changes.