- Course Number:
- BA 213
- Course Title:
- Managerial Accounting
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers accounting information from management perspective for planning, performance evaluation and for decision making purposes. Includes cost concepts, product costing, cost-volume-profit relationships, profit planning, variance analysis, responsibility accounting and capital budgeting. Prerequisites: BA 211. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Incorporate and use basic managerial accounting terminology and concepts in a business environment and communicate effectively.
- Use an understanding of cost concepts for product costing and to analyze relevant costs.
- Understand the nature of costs and apply to cost-volume-profit relationships and activity based costing.
- Apply budgeting for business planning and standard costs to perform variance analysis.
- Use knowledge of responsibility accounting to evaluate and measure business performance.
- Apply an understanding of capital budgeting for decision making.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be expected to demonstrate knowledge of the concepts described in the required competencies by any combination of the following:
- Classroom participation
- Out of class assignments
- Individual or group projects
- Case study analysis
- Completion of assessment examinations
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Managerial Accounting Terminology
- Accounting Reasoning
- Critical Thinking
- Effective Written and Oral Communications
- Ethical Accounting Conduct Competencies and Skills Ã½ Demonstrate an understanding of cost flows
- Demonstrate an understanding of allocated costs
- Demonstrate knowledge of Capital Budgeting
- Analyze the nature relevant costs
- Demonstrate an understanding of Standard Costs
- Distinguish between job order and process accounting
- Demonstrate an understanding of Cost-Volume-Profit relationships
- Demonstrate an understanding of segment reporting