Course Content and Outcome Guide for AVS 127 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- AVS 127
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Aviation
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExamines the aviation industry from early flight to future potentials. Introduces the career opportunities in a variety of fields of aviation, with focus on professional airplane or helicopter pilot careers. Provides a general overview of pilot flight training including certificates, ratings and training aircraft used. Open to the general public. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed to introduce the Aviation Science program to prospective aviation professionals. The course provides an overview of the aviation industry", including both airplane and helicopter training and careers. It also delves into some aviation industry current issues and human factors such as flight physiology, crew resource management and safe aeronautical decision-making.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Name the FAA certificates and ratings that apply to their desired career path, and describe in general terms what training is required to earn them;
- Name at least one viable aviation-related job that would be of interest to them, and describe in general terms the requirements for that job;
- Develop a general outline of a career path that might lead them to the aviation position that they desire;
- Articulate an understanding of key events in the development of the aviation industry as we know it today; and
- Identify key issues that influence cultural, racial and gender diversity in aviation.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Outcomes will be assessed through assignments"," projects and peer assessment of small group participation. Assessment of attendance will be included.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Fundamentals of Learning to Fly
Aviation Organizations / Communities
Diversity in Aviation
Aeronautical Decision Making
Crew Resource Managment