Course Content and Outcome Guide for ATH 208
- Course Number:
- ATH 208
- Course Title:
- Cult Ath: Cultures of World
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces ethnographic descriptions of a representative sample of the cultural variations among contemporary peoples. Compares various subsistence systems and levels of socio-political integration. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Identify important cultural features of different societies cross-culturally.
2. Reflect on how personal and social values are shaped by culture.
3. Examine the role ethnocentrism plays in promoting cultural misunderstanding and intolerance at the local and global level.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment strategies may include any of the following:
* exams (in class or take home)
* term papers
* short papers or reports
* student presentations
* experiential exercises
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- comparative culture
- cultural diversity
- enculturation vs. acculturation
- cultural adaptation
- world view
- cultural relativism
- compare different cultures
- read and write at the college level
- participate in focus group exercises
- evaluate documentary films