- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- ASEP 103
- Course Title:
- Engine Performance
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Studies operation, diagnosis and testing of systems used to deliver spark ignition and air/fuel to the combustion chamber of the engine, reduce vehicle emission levels and diesel engine operation. Prerequisite: ASEP 100.
Addendum to Course Description
ASEP 103 will cover the following NATEF and GM STC competencies:
- A8 Engine Performance
- GM Power Train Performance
- On Board Diagnostics Generation Two (OBD II)
Intended Outcomes for the course
The graduate will be able to:
- Perform engine performance related repairs on passenger cars and light trucks with limited supervision.
- Develop the ability to formulate repair strategies and processes to deal with the engine running problems.
- A high level of professional ethics and workman ship is stressed in the program.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Student will demonstrate the ability to diagnosis and repair problems on the ASEP school fleet of current GM vehicles. This will include hands on exercises in all applicable ASE areas on ASEP school vehicles and component repair on the workbench. In addition written tests and home work will be required to demonstrate ability to access information in an electronic format as well a standard paper shop manuals.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The following General Motors Training Courses are embedded in this section of the GM-ASEP program in addition to the required NATEF competencies:
Tech 2 Familiarization
Description: This course provides information on Tech 2 scan tool usage, software navigation, diagnostic trouble code retrieval and data display.
On-Board Diagnostics Generation II
Description: This course provides technicians with a fundamental understanding of gasoline and diesel OBD II systems. It also covers the skills needed to properly diagnose and repair OBD II driveability concerns. Emphasis is on the use of the Tech 2 scan tool, Diagnostic Trouble Code and snapshot data.
GM Powertrain Performance
Description: This course introduces the technician to theory, operation and proper diagnosis of the following:
· Engine mechanical driveability diagnostics and procedures, along with emission control operations.
· Fuel system operation, component function and operation.
· Ignition system operation, component function and operation.
The GM-ASEP is a factory backed, manufacture based program dealing with the GM product line only. It is a cooperative between PCC, General Motors and the GM dealer body to supply well-trained entry-level technicians for GM dealer service departments.