Course Content and Outcome Guide for ARCH 134
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- ARCH 134
- Course Title:
- Energy Conservation Code
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides an introduction to the Energy Conservation Code. Discusses selected portions of the code with application to sample building plans. Explores options for alternative materials and methods of code compliance. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115, and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
· Communicate the basic functions of the energy code, using industry terminology.
· Apply requirements of the Energy Conservation Code to sample house plans.
· Create a proposal for using alternative materials and methods to meet code compliance.
Course Activities and Design
This course will be presented using lecture and discussion sessions. Students will also work in small groups to apply concepts to sample house plans.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
· Proper and timely competition of class projects, demonstrating effective use of knowledge.
· Evaluation will be based on testing of code knowledge, and on a term project which integrates and applies the course knowledge.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
· Course materials will be presented in a multimedia format, showing examples of energy code applications.
· Short-answer tests will require students to communicate the function of the energy code.
· Weekly review of house plans will provide opportunities for student to apply class information to sample house plans.
· Students will create a sample of an alternative materials and methods approach to meeting the code.