Course Content and Outcome Guide for ARCH 124
- Course Number:
- ARCH 124
- Course Title:
- Intro to Building Systems
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionAn overview of residential building systems, including building construction, and heating, cooling, plumbing, electrical, and passive solar systems. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Intended Outcomes for the course
Develop basic schematic layouts of residential building systems using construction strategies and technologies for efficient use of energy and materials.
Communicate with design professionals, clients and engineers using industry specific terminology for residential building systems.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Student to demonstrate understanding of class concepts through written analysis of building system requirements, and specific application to sample buildings. Student to demonstrate willingness and ability to work in small groups during class to provide input and solve in-class assignments, and articulate findings to class. Student to demonstrate time management skills by completion of projects by assigned deadlines and by meeting specific objectives for each phase of class projects.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Course materials and concepts will be presented in a lecture and discussion format, using multimedia presentations (slides, overheads, videos) showing examples of structural systems.
- Students will work in small groups to apply concepts to building examples, in selecting and analyzing building systems.
- Discussions will be supplemented by worksheets for students to further practice application of class concept.
- Tests will cover analysis of building systems within sample building.