Course Content and Outcome Guide for ARCH 122
- Course Number:
- ARCH 122
- Course Title:
- Structural Systems 2
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers the structuring of residential buildings including sizing of wood rafters, joists, beams, etc. Prerequisite: ARCH 121, MTH 60 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Transferability of credit depends entirely upon the institution to which the student wishes to transfer.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
Apply theories of structural loading to select and design a basic wood structural system for a residential project.
Communicate with design professionals, clients and engineers using industry specific terminology for residential wood structural members and systems.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participation in class work sessions, class discussions and critiques
- Proper and timely completion of class projects, which demonstrate effective use of knowledge
- Evaluation procedures will be presented at the first class meeting. Student grades will be based on satisfactory completion of assigned projects.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Lecture/discussion and lab sessions will be the instructional methods used in this course and will provide the student with the background information necessary to complete the homework assignments.
- Forces and stresses on structural members
- Moments and reactions caused by loads on structural members
- Shearing and bending stresses through the use of shear diagrams
- Types of basic structural members
- Design methods and computational techniques to solve given bending problems
- Code required minimum live loads
- Common construction dead loads
- Determination of member load
- Total loads for a given structural system
- Common wood species used in construction
- Specific wood design values in reference books
- Joist and Rafters
- Simple Beams
- Glu-Laminated timber beams