- Course Number:
- AB 116
- Course Title:
- Auto Painting I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDevelops knowledge and skills in care and use of all painting equipment, shop safety, conservation of materials, surface preparation for application of paint, application techniques, color matching and basic taping techniques. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome-based course using a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, and lab demonstrations covering technical skills. Course outcomes will include surface preparation, material conservation, taping, application of material, safety and environmental awareness, communication, computations and human relations. This course is required for a One-year Certificate.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course students should be able to:
· communicate effectively with employers, coworkers and customers, adapting to feedback as it pertains to basic terminology, processes and skills
of auto body painting and professional workplace behavior.
· work safely in the auto body painting industry and apply a proper understanding of the use of basic tools, products and chemicals and how those items affect the local and global environment.
· identify and implement basic strategies and processes to solve basic workplace and auto body painting problems, access and utilize basic repair
information in a rapidly changing technology.
· apply necessary basic computation skills effectively as they pertain to auto body painting.
· use an understanding of variation in culture and human interactions to working within the team environment in the auto body painting industry.
· apply the basic knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to work within the ethical and professional parameters of the auto body painting
profession, with supervision.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes. The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following: oral or written examinations, quizzes, written assignments, visual inspection techniques, safe work habits, task performance and work relations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Function safely in the PCC Auto Collision Shop.
• Student will understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear.
• Student will understand and practice hand and power tool safety.
• Student will understand and maintain a safe work area.
• Access and explain the importance of Material safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
Demonstrate professional work ethics (habits).
• Arrive to class on time and prepared for the days activities.
• Perform projects in accordance to specifications and procedures.
• Follow directions in a positive manner.
• Manage time productively.
• Respect equipment and fellow students.
• Demonstrate skill in problem solving and decision making.
Operate Spray-painting equipment in accordance with manufacturers standards.
• Describe correct methods to disassemble, clean and reassemble a spray gun.
• Describe correct procedures for cleaning and using a Fresh Air Respirator.
• Demonstrate correct method of cleaning the Paint Booth.
• Demonstrate adjusting a spray gun.
• Demonstrate use of Digital Scale to mix material.
• Demonstrate proper spray-gun handling techniques.
Apply knowledge to mask a vehicle for refinishing.
• Identify and explain the use of all materials needed for the masking operation.
• Determine which parts should be masked and which should be removed
• Demonstrate basic techniques used to mask windows, moldings, bumpers, grilles, and openings.
• Use plastic car covers to protect areas from over spray.
Prepare a repaired vehicle and/or auto body panels for refinishing
• Demonstrate the proper techniques for cleaning the surface.
• Know the correct surface preparation abrasives and their uses.
• Demonstrate undercoat application process.
• Demonstrate refinishing area to industry standards.