Skill Center students represent a diverse mix of age, ethnicity, and gender, as well as economic, social, and educational status. Many have struggled to find and maintain gainful employment.
Students receive guidance to become self-directed, self-reliant and to achieve self-efficacy in a learning environment that is respectful, welcoming, tolerant, and non-judgmental.
A dedicated and diverse team, Skill Center instructors will accommodate students' needs through teaching, coaching, and mentoring. They enable students to obtain foundational life skills that will help them to understand, identify and overcome life barriers and lead to attainable and sustainable futures.
Skill Center Program Goals
Our students will learn:
- Emotional Intelligence – how to be sensitive to the needs of others
- Logical/Practical Intelligence – how to solve problems and overcome obstacles
- Social Intelligence – how to work effectively with others
- Personal Intelligence – how to master basic workplace and educational skills
Portland Community College Institutional Values
PCC is committed to:
- The dignity and worth of each individual
- Educational opportunity for all, regardless of social or economic class or status, level of aspiration or previous performance
- Effective teaching
- Educational and personal growth of the individual
- Open and honest communication
- Teamwork and cooperation
- An environment that encourages the expression of original ideas and creative solutions