Internships are a huge value for students and employers...
Why should I host an intern from Career Pathways?
- You will be giving a student an opportunity to develop new skills or get work experience in a field in which they hope to find employment.
What are the benefits of hosting an intern?
- Free labor!
- Getting the opportunity to host an (unpaid) intern increases the potential hiring pool for employers after the terms of the internship.
What type of liability coverage do the students have?
- Student interns are all covered under PCC Workman’s Compensation insurance while they are enrolled in class and participating in an internship.
- Additional Liability coverage is available for students in medical profession internships.
What are the expectations of the student at the Internship?
- Students are expected to treat the internship LIKE A JOB, which means:
- Adhere to the designated schedule;
- Dress appropriately;
- Be respectful of the employer, co-workers, customers, etc.
- Stay on task with assignments and demonstrate accountability
- Students are expected to fulfill the agreed time frame for the duration of the internship.
- Students are expected to notify their internship if they need to change a shift, or if they will be late – like any regular employee.
What is expected of an employer that is hosting an intern?
- We ask employers to offer students a real-work experience where they would get similar training to an entry level employee who is just getting started; training and tasks appropriate for the position they are in.
- We ask employers to offer constructive and honest feedback to students if issues arise (Program Staff is always available to support you with any concerns).
- We ask employers to provide all the necessary equipment to perform the tasks associated the position they are fulfilling.
- Treat the intern like an employee and give them tasks and allow them access to equipment, information and whatever they will need to succeed in the assigned position.
- We ask employers to complete a Site Supervisor Review and go over it with the student at the end of the internship.
With all these great benefits for employers – what do students get out of an internship?
- Relevant,recent work experience in their area of interest.
- A reference and networking opportunity from a local employer.