Pathways: Computer Technology Support Specialist
THE CAREER PATHWAYS TEAM IS NOT CURRENTLY OFFERING THE COMPUTER SUPPORT OPTION DUE TO THE CHALLENGING LABOR MARKET.
This career pathway leads to entry-level work in a call center environment providing technical support over the phone or as a member of the team providing in-person technical support for an organization.
Our adviser will work with you as you pursue one of the following two options for computer support:
OPTION 1: College Classes in Computer Information Systems focused on:
- Supporting end users
- Troubleshooting computer hardware
- Operating systems
- Data communications
These courses can be completed in 6 months and put students on a path to the variety of certificate and Associate degree options in Computer Information Systems.
Sample Schedule (pdf)
Industry Certification Preparation Classes designed to prepare students with computer support work experience but no formal credentials for success on industry certification exams. PCC currently offers certification preparation classes in the following areas:
PC Support/Security – CompTIA and Microsoft
Networking – Cisco, Juniper Network, CompTIA, and Microsoft
Databases – Oracle and Microsoft
These courses can be completed in 4-6 months and make students with related work experience more competitive for computer support positions.
Regardless of which option you pursue our career coach is available to guide you through:
- Constructing your story in a way that emphasizes your expertise and passion for the field of information technology (IT).
- Developing a personalized strategy for marketing yourself to employers in the field of IT.
- Building a network of professionals that know your story and can be a resource as you pursue your goals.
Ultimately our commitment is to work with you until you achieve your short-term educational and employment goals.
Learn more: Click to download printable flyer.
For more information on the next Computer Technology Support Specialist pathway, please contact Laurie Chadwick at 971-722-6233.
Note: The above cost sheets are based on the 2011/12 PCC fee structure. They are approximations and subject to change without notice.
- Students must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Prior experience supporting personal computers in a work setting or as a computer hobbyist, including experience building a P.C. is extremely helpful.
- Prior experience using the Microsoft Windows Operating System and Microsoft Office suite of products is required.
- Complete a COMPASS placement exam). Students are allowed to waive the placement exam if they can demonstrate prior learning that meets the writing, reading, and math prerequisites.
- If your placement test scores are below those listed above, please call the contact person listed above to discuss your enrollment options.