Pathways: VESL Retail Sales and Service
This 13 credit pathway is taken over two terms. The curriculum provides skills, knowledge, and abilities that have been identified as essential for a retail management career. Courses in this pathway are included in the less-than-one-year certificate in Retail Management, which is endorsed by the Western Association of Food Chains, and can be applied toward completion of an Associate of Applied Science degree in Retail Management.
Students gain a theoretical base of knowledge in business while learning practical skills associated with the retail industry. At the conclusion of the second term of the pathway, students receive a Career Pathways Certificate of Completion. The average hourly target wage for retail work in the Portland metropolitan area is $9 to $12 per hour (Source: Oregon's Labor Market Information System, www.qualityinfo.org)
Conveniently located: Portland Community College
The next start date will be offered Winter and Spring Terms 2014, which run from January 6 - June, 2014. Click to view a sample class schedule.
Next Information Sessions:
SE Center: 2305 SE 82nd ave. Portland, OR 97216
Tuesday, October 29, 2-3:50pm, Tabor Hall, Room 115
Wednesday, November 6, 12-2:00pm, Scott Hall, Room 101
Tuesday, November 12, 10 - 11:50am, Tabor Hall, Room 115
Cascade Campus: 705 N. Killingsworth St., Portland, OR 97217
Thursday, October 31, 10-11:50am, PSEB 111
Thursday, November 14, 2-3:50pm, PSEB 111
Sylvania Campus: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR 97219
Thursday, November 7, 3-5:00pm, HT 324
Wednesday, November 13, 9-11:00am, HT 324
Questions: Please call 972-722-6218 or email here.
- Students participate in VESL Support Course and improve language and receive specialized support for the classes.
- Through the VESL career planning course, a cohort learning community is developed and supports students as they pursue employment in the Retail Management field.
- Students earn college credit that may be applicable to the PCC less-than-1-year certificate in Retail Management and the Associate of Applied Science in Retail Management.
- This training is on the Work Source Inc. Eligible Training Program List.
- Offered in partnership with the PCC Department of Business Administration and ESOL Department.
Estimated Cost Of Training:
Term 1: $1,113.95/$1,733.05 (non-credit/ESOL credit)
Term 2: $723/$1,342.10 (non-credit/ESOL credit)
Total: $1,836.95*/$3,075.15* (non-credit/credit)
*Includes fees for job coaching and career planning seminars in Term 1, ongoing job search assistance, tuition, fees, books and parking.
Note: The figures above are based on the 2011/12 PCC fee structure. They are approximations and subject to change without notice.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Completion of a COMPASS ESL placement exam at a PCC testing center. Results of the exam should place students into PCC ESOL level 6, Math 60, OR prior enrollment and completion of PCC ESOL 5 or higher.
Course of Study
|Course Number||Course Name||Credits|
|ESOL 59/59n||VESL Support Course||0 or 8|
|BA111||Introduction to Accounting||3|
|BA131||Computers in Business||4|
|WFTT23||Career Planning: This course is designed to build a learning community among students pursuing career pathways courses. Students will develop their skills as a student, intern and job seeker. A job search portfolio will be used as an organizational framework for the course.||non-credit|
|Total Credits (Term 1)||7 or 15|
|BA249||Principles of Retailing & E-tailing||3|
|BA285||Human Relations - Organizations||3|
|Total Credits (Term 2)||6|