NEW Fiber Optic Technician training and AMP Act Industry Certification training is now offered under the Electrical Trades. See the Fiber Optic Classes & Careers link or the AMP Act Certification link for more information.
Fiber Optic Careers
The Fiber Optics Technician will terminate, test, troubleshoot, and repair fiber optical links. The professional will work directly with commercial data, network, security, telco, and system engineers and designers. Site terminations may require the technician to work inside as well as outside.
What will I do on the job?
- Determine proper fiber cable and components
- Correctly splice and terminate fiber optic links
- Troubleshoot and mend fiber systems
- Install fiber networks
- Copper to fiber systems interface
What skills will I use?
- Analytical thinking
- Deductive reasoning
- Organizational skills
- Written and verbal communications
- Electrical / electronic background
- Scientific knowledge of light refraction and reflection
Who will hire me?
- Communication companies (ie., Qwest, PGB, Verizon)
- Telco installers (ie., Christensen Electric, Tice Electric)
- Systems providers (ie., PacWest, AT&T)
What will I earn?
Salaries begin around $9-$18 per hour. Wages significantly depend on additional skills sets, such as an LME electrical license.
Need more information?
Contact: John Shaw, Instructor
Contact: Katrina Cloud, Administrative Assistant