Crime Prevention Services
The Department of Public Safety believes it is better to prevent crimes than to react after the fact. A primary tool for accomplishing this goal is the department's comprehensive crime prevention strategy. This strategy is based on a multi-layered approach that includes proactive patrol of the campus, crime prevention education, risk assessment, and frequent public contact. The Crime Prevention Unit is available to assist any individual and/or group in planning, presenting, and coordinating programs of interest or concern. The Department of Public Safety has assigned Crime Prevention Specialists who are available to answer any crime prevention questions and provide up-to-date crime prevention material and information. If you would like to speak with a Crime Prevention Specialist, please contact your campus DPS office.
- Emergency Telephones
- Courtesy phones are located at all campuses and can be used in emergency situations to contact the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at extension 4444.
- Crime Prevention Presentations
- Crime prevention presentations are made annually to campus groups, organizations, specific college departments and recognized student organizations.
- Crime Prevention Publications
- At all PCC facilities we distribute and display publications on motor vehicle security, employee security, rape awareness, assault prevention techniques and theft prevention. You can also get these materials at crime prevention presentations and by contacting the DPS.
- Electronic Alarm System
- A computer-based electronic alarm system monitors a comprehensive network of intrusion and fire detection systems on all campuses and centers.
- A New Alert capability to sound an alert signal, on a building by building basis has been installed at Cascade, CLIMB Center, Portland Metro, Southeast Center, Rock Creek and Sylvania Campuses. Please review the lockdown procedures, so you know when it will be used, what it sounds like and what to do when you hear it.
- Victims Assistance Referral Program
- The department also makes referrals to agencies that help victims of personal and property crimes.
- Security Surveys
- Comprehensive security surveys and audits are made at the request of facility administrators, program managers, and support staff.