Accommodations and Costs
Program Coordinator: Greg Lyons
A major advantage of this immersion program is living with a Mexican family. There is no better way to practice Spanish skills and learn Mexican culture. Homestay families are experienced in hosting North American students and will care for you. They will also speak Spanish with you and maintain a friendly atmosphere that fosters serious study and cultural involvement. Though bedrooms vary in size, they are clean and comfortable, usually with a shared bathroom down the hall. As much as possible, the Escuela tries to arrange a homestay with no more than two Spanish students in residence. Your family provides breakfast before classes and the main meal at about 3 p.m. A few homes have wireless internet, but most do not.
You may want to download a copy of the Guanajuato Cost Breakdown Sheet before seeing your financial aid advisor. Based on a minimum of 15 participants, the cost per individual is $2800 and includes:
- Roundtrip airfare on program dates from Portland/Guanajuato/Portland
- Group transfers to/from overseas airport
- Three weeks Spanish Language program at Don Quijote School
- Private twin bedroom in a Mexican home for three weeks
- Daily breakfast and lunch while in home-stay
- Medical and travel insurance
Not included in the cost are:
- Portland Community College’s tuition and fees
- Passport and visa fees
- Personal expenses (incidental daily expenses; see below *)
*Incidental daily expenses include bus fares, taxi fares, laundry ($10 weekly), evening meals (about $200), entertainment, and optional excursions. Students should plan on budgeting at least $400 extra to cover all such costs over the three weeks—more if you plan on purchasing gifts, clothes and souvenirs.
Payment Schedule: After sending your three-page application form as an attachment to email, send Release form and Full balance of program ($2800) by check to arrive by Friday, March 23rd, 2012.