The cost of apartment housing accommodations during the program is included in the program fee. Students stay at in twin room, 2-3 bedroom apartments with cooking facilities, in the historical center of Florence,. Apartments are located within a 20 minute walking distance to the AIFS ABC School. Each student will share a bedroom, equipped with two twin beds, with one other student, of the same gender, who is participating in the program.
Students are responsible for providing and paying for all of their meals while living in Florence, with the exception of a single welcome dinner, which is included in the program fee cost. The cost of food is included in the estimate of personal student expenses included on the program cost breakdown sheet that is posted on the Florence, Italy Program Expenses web page.
Students can also purchase an optional AIFS meal plan, that consists of 25 vouchers to use in a selection of restaurants and trattoria for a supplemental fee. Students can select this option when completing their program application.
International Airfare and Airport Transportation
The cost of round-trip airfare between Portland, Oregon and Florence, Italy is not included in the program fee. It is the students responsibility to book and pay for round-trip international airfare costs and airport transportation.
On a space–available basis, students may purchase an optional, group transportation package offered by AIFS. The AIFS group transportation package consists of round-trip airfare (Portland–Florence–Portland) and round-trip transfers overseas between the airport and the housing in Florence. Students can select this option when completing their program application. A minimum of 10 students must purchase this optional group transportation package for it to be offered.
International Health and Travel Insurance
Student medical and program fee refund insurance policies are included in the cost of the program fee.
Students are responsible for providing and paying for he cost of local transportation needs (public transportation and taxis). The cost of local transportation is included in the estimate of personal student expenses included on the Program Cost Breakdown Sheet that is posted on the Florence, Italy Program Expenses web page.
The following services are included in the program fee:
- On-site orientation meeting & literature, welcome reception, and half-day guided sightseeing tour.
- A fully staffed AIFS office in the ABC School study center includes an AIFS Program Coordinator and Student Advisors to provide general information, personal advising and counseling services, and a 24-hour emergency contact service.
- A museum pass for each student valid for the duration of the program. The pass includes unlimited entry to the Uffizi Gallery, Accademia, Bargello, Pitti Palace, San Marco Museum, and the Medici Chapel.
- Free wireless Internet access in the ABC School study center during class hours M-F, plus free wireless Internet in the apartments where possible.
The following optional services are offered for an additional fee:
- A medical insurance upgrade. Additional details are available in a program brochure that can be obtained from the Rock Creek Office of International Education. Students can select this option when completing their program application.
- Personal Affects Insurance. Additional details are available in a program brochure that can be obtained from the Rock Creek Office of International Education. Students can select this option when completing their program application.
The cost of PCC tuition is NOT included in the program fee. To determine the cost of 14 credits of PCC tuition and fees, students can refer to the College Cost Calculator. Students are required pay their PCC tuition or make college-approved payment arrangements by the Summer term payment due date.
Included Excursions and Cultural Activities:
Weekly program of subsidized cultural activities. The program allows students to experience typical Italian pastimes and to explore the city in depth. Past cultural program activities have included a traditional cooking class, pizza-making class, wine tasting lectures, an olive-oil tasting, a soccer match and a concert.
Guided day trip to the medieval town of Siena and San Gimignano. Siena is a town famous for its Palio horse race and San Gimignano is famous for its interesting towers.