Portland Community College offers academic English courses on all of its campuses. The program consists of 8 levels. Each course is 11 weeks long during fall, winter, and spring terms. Courses are 8 weeks long during summer term. You may enter a course at the beginning of any term.
The English Language Program prepares students for university studies or for personal needs.
- 8 levels from beginning to upper advanced
- Quality instruction and support services
- Free computer labs equipped with internet and email
- Free tutoring centers
No TOEFL Score Required
PCC does NOT require a TOEFL score. Instead, all new students MUST take an English placement test during orientation.
- The English placement test measures your current level of English proficiency.
- Depending on your level of English proficiency, you may have to take English language classes before you can take regular academic classes.
- Please review the English Proficiency Requirement.
If you place into English Language Courses
The English language program prepares students for university studies or for personal needs.
Intensive English: IE (Levels 1-3)
- Levels 1-3 are combined.
- IE CLASSES (LEVELS 1-3) ARE OFFERED ONLY AT THE CASCADE CAMPUS.
- Depending on the language level, students may need to repeat the IE levels before they can advance to ESOL level 4.
- These classes are non-credit, with 18 contact hours per week.
- These classes are only for international students with F-1 Visas.
English for Speakers of Other Languages: ESOL (Levels 4-8)
- ESOL classes (level 4-8) are offered at all of the main PCC campuses, and several of the centers.
- Students in levels 4-8 can earn credits towards an Associate’s degree at PCC, and for transfer credit to a U.S. university.
- Required classes in reading, writing, and speaking/listening.
- Special classes at all levels e.g. U.S. culture, pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, college preparation, and service-learning.
- Level 8 is the highest level.
- You must complete the ESOL program (complete level 8) before you can register full-time for regular academic classes.
- Intensive English (Levels 1-3) - $2400 per term
- ESOL Courses (Levels 4-8) - $191 per credit (for F-1 international students)
- Additional Fees
- Student Activity Fee - $3.15 per credit
- Technology Fee - $4.50 per credit
- College Service Fee - $15 per term
- Transportation Fee - $8 per term
- Health Insurance (required of all students) - $366 per term