Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon

To apply for a Social Security number and card, you need to complete Form SS-5 which is available for download at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html, or you can obtain Form SS-5 by calling 1-800-772-1213 or visiting your local Social Security office. These services are free. The Social Security website has detailed information about obtaining a Social Security number.

F-1 students must present the following:

  • Completed Application (Form SS-5 - Instructions)
  • Form I-94
  • Two documents that establish applicant's age and identity (passport and one additional document such as Driver's license or Oregon ID)
  • Valid PCC I-20
  • Proof of employment authorization (letter from an International Student Advisor)

Local Social Security Offices

  • 1538 SW Yamhill Street (Corner of 16th and Yamhill) 1-800-772-1213
  • 11975 SW 2nd Street (Corner of SW 2nd and Lombard) 1-800-772-1213

Other locations, maps and office hours are listed at http://www.ssa.gov/locator/

Social Security Information Handout

Social Security Number for non-work purposes

Please see website under Frequently asked Questions (How do I obtain a SS #) for eligibility requirements.