Applying for a Social Security Number
To apply for a Social Security number and card, you need to complete Form SS-5 which is available for download at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html, or you can obtain Form SS-5 by calling 1-800-772-1213 or visiting your local Social Security office. These services are free. The Social Security website has detailed information about obtaining a Social Security number.
F-1 students must present the following:
- Completed Application (Form SS-5 - Instructions)
- Form I-94
- Two documents that establish applicant's age and identity (passport and one additional document such as Driver's license or Oregon ID)
- Valid PCC I-20
- Proof of employment authorization (letter from an International Student Advisor)
Local Social Security Offices
- 1538 SW Yamhill Street (Corner of 16th and Yamhill) 1-800-772-1213
- 11975 SW 2nd Street (Corner of SW 2nd and Lombard) 1-800-772-1213
Other locations, maps and office hours are listed at http://www.ssa.gov/locator/
Social Security Number for non-work purposes: Please see website under Frequently asked Questions (How do I obtain a SS #) for eligibility requirements.