Curricular Practical Training
You are eligible to apply for CPT if:
- You are enrolled in SEVIS school in lawful non-immigrant status for at least 9 months
- You are currently an F-1 student in a degree-seeking academic program
- Your proposed employment is either a required part of your program of study or an integral part of the curriculum for which you will receive academic credit
Applying for CPT is a two-step process:
(1) meet with an International Student Advisor to confirm that you are eligible for CPT and she will assist you in your application for work authorization. You must come to an International Student Advisor with the following documents:
- All 1-20s,
- I-94 card
- Your passport
Apply to Office of International Education.
- A copy of complete Cooperative Education Training Agreement & Learning
- Unless the employment is a required part of the curriculum, you must register for academic credit to be eligible to engage in CPT. Therefore, you will need to work with the Co-op Education department to determine appropriate number of credits to register for appropriate term(s) as a required (and integral) part of the academic program.
- A copy of complete Cooperative Education Training Agreement & Learning Objectives.
Please allow 3-5 working days to complete the authorization.
- If you are authorized for 12 months or more of Full-Time CPT, you are not eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) after you complete your degree. You may, however, engage in unlimited part-time CPT and still retain your OPT after graduation.
- CPT is only available prior to completion of your program of study.