- Summer Sustainability Institute 2010
- July 12 through July 16, 2010
- Portland Community College, Portland, OR
In response to the needs of students and industry, faculty are encouraged to update their curriculum to prepare students for high-demand careers in green building design, construction and maintenance. To meet this need, PCC’s Summer Sustainability Institute offers high quality and up-to-date training to a selected group of 30 instructors to help them integrate sustainable concepts and practices into their courses. Experts on sustainability, integrated design planning, residential green building and energy efficiency from Earth Advantage, Energy Trust of Oregon, PCC, and architectural and design firms in Portland will co-lead the institute.
High school, community college and university instructors are invited to apply for this free professional development opportunity to improve their knowledge of sustainable design and construction issues, trends, technologies and industry best practices. This week-long training will combine workshops, discussions, and site visits to notable green sites in the Portland metro region, leaving attendees better informed, prepared and inspired to integrate sustainable design and building into their curriculum.
SSI Training Activities:
- Introduction to principles of sustainability
- Course curriculum modules
- Field trips to green building sites/businesses that exemplify sustainability principles
- Discussions on teaching techniques and how to incorporate sustainability principles/curriculum topics into courses.
- Free textbooks and resource lists for use in curriculum development
Given limited space, attendees will be selected based on the following criteria. The instructor must:
- Be a current educator from a high school, 2-year institution, 4-year institution or union training school.
- Teach in a technology-related program such as: architectural design and drafting, building construction, engineering, facilities maintenance, energy management, landscape technology, or related fields.
- Submit detailed answers to the application questions to demonstrate how he/she plans to revise his/her course(s) to reflect the skills and knowledge acquired at the SSI.
- Attend the one-day summit on Monday, August 30. If this is not possible, proof of revisions to the course(s) must be provided to the SSI Training Coordinator to demonstrate completion of the program.
How to Apply
Complete and submit the application for the 2010 Summer Sustainability Institute. The deadline for the application will be Mdel>May 21, 2010 . If you have questions about the Summer Sustainability Institute, contact the SSI Coordinator Kim Smith, or our administrative assistant Kathleen Harriman.