Using respondus to create quizzes
Respondus is a powerful tool for creating and managing exams that can be published directly to Desire2Learn learning system. Exams can be created offline using a familiar Windows environment.
- Who is this for: Online Instructors
- What is required: A Desire2Learn course, Respondus software, and Windows Operating System
Step 1: Download and install Respondus
In the Online Faculty Resource Center inside Desire2Learn, you will find all the information you need to download and install Respondus.
- Find and click the Online Faculty Resource Center course link.
- Click the Content from the navigation.
- In the Search Topic field on the left side below the Course Home navigation link, enter “Respondus” (no quotes) and click the Search icon.
- You should see Download & install Respondus page as one of the search results. Click on the Download & install Respondus page link.
- Read and follow the instructions on that page.
Note: Respondus license will be updated each year in August. If you need to use Respondus again next year past the expiration date, Respondus will prompt you to enter your new license information. Come back to Step 1.4 to find the updated Respondus license information.
Step 2: Respondus test bank network
The Respondus test bank network contains thousands of test banks for leading textbooks in higher education. Instructors who use Respondus 4.0 can easily create online exams from official publisher test banks.
- Search for your textbook test bank from Respondus test bank networkwebsite and click the Search for Test Banks button.
- Enter your textbook title in the Textbook Title field, or enter the textbook author’s last name in the Author’s Last Name field.You may also search by publisher by clicking on the Search by publisher drop-down menu and select the textbook’s publisher name.
- Click the Search button.
- If you find your textbook from the search result, click the More Information & Text Bank Request link below the textbook information.
- You will then have to fill out a request form to the publisher for verification and processing. The publisher will respond to your request and send you the file code and password you will need to access the test bank.
- View the demo video for using publisher text banks with Respondus 4.0.
Step 3: Change your Desire2Learn password before using Respondus
By default, you login to Desire2Learn directly from MyPCC using a secure connection because of the connection between Desire2Learn and Banner registration. You will need to change your password to be able to create a connection from Respondus to Desire2Learn later on in Step 4.
- Go to the Forgot Your Password page to manually reset your Desire2Learn password. This password will only be used by Respondus.
- On the Forgot Your Password page, enter your PCC username in the Username: field. For example: if your email is firstname.lastname@example.org, then your username will be jane.doe15.
- Click the Submit button to send your request. Next, you will see a confirmation page.
- Check your PCC email to find an email from email@example.com.
- Click the Reset my password link from the email message. Note that this password link will expires 24 hour(s) after your initial request.
- You will see the Choose a New Password page.
- Enter your PCC username, the same username that you have enter previously in Step 1.3, in the Username: field.
- Enter your new Desire2Learn password in the New Password: field.
- Enter the same password you typed in previous step in the Re-enter Password: field.
- Click the Submit button. Next, you should see the Password successfully reset page.
- Click the Go to login page link.
- Despite having just changed you Desire2Learn password, you will actually use your MyPCC Username and Password to log in to Desire2Learn.
- Your new Desire2Learn password will not be permanent. Because of the Desire2Learn and Banner integration, if an event occurs in Banner, such as having a course assigned to the instructor, a name or e-mail change, or students being added/ dropped from the class, your password will be reset to a Banner password. It is not entirely predictable when the event will occur.
- If your password got reset, you will have to redo Step 1.
Step 4: Using Respondus
Choose from one of the following options for directions on how to use Respondus:
- Watch the Respondus demonstration videos. Adobe Flash Player is required to view the videos.
- Read the Respondus User Guides and click the Desire2Learn Personality link.
- Read the Instructor Quick Start Guide.
Note: If you have questions or problems using Respondus software, please contact the Online Faculty Help Desk by calling 971-722-8227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.