Resetting a quiz attempt
When a student has reached the maximum number of quiz attempts, an attempt must be deleted (or reset) in order for the student to take it again.
- Who is this for: Online Instructors
- What is required: A quiz with an attempt that has been submitted or is in progress
Step 1: Go to the Grade area for the quiz.
- Go to the Quizzes tool and locate the quiz for which you would like to reset an attempt.
- Click the Action menu next to the quiz name and select Grade.
Step 2: Search for the attempt to be deleted
The default view is only showing students who have completed the quiz attempt. Follow this step to search for the student’s incomplete attempt.
- Make sure the Users tab is selected at the top of the page.
- You can sort the users alphabetically by first or last name by clicking First Name or Last Name at the top of the list. The student’s attempts will be displayed below each student’s name.
- If the attempt is still not shown, you may need to change from the Restrict to section to another status (e.g. All users) and click the Search button next to the Search For: field.
Step 3: Delete the attempt
- Check the box to the left of the attempt you would like to delete, below the student’s name.
- Click the Reset icon at the top or the bottom of the list.
- Click Yes to confirm deletion of the attempt.
- Click the Save and Close button at the bottom of the page.
If the quiz period is in the past, make sure to change the due dates to allow the student to retake the quiz, possibly using Special Access. View the Desire2Learn documentation: Creating quizzes.