Adding Online Rooms
Online Rooms is an online collaboration platform which you set up inside Desire2Learn, providing web conferencing, mobile collaboration, instant messaging, and voice. To set up a online office hour, file sharing and students’ collaboration.
- Who is this for: Online Instructors
- What is required: A Desire2Learn course
Step 1: Adding the Online Rooms link to the navigation bar
Option 1: If you are using the PCC Default Navbar
- Click Edit Course from the navigation bar.
- Click on Navigation & Themes.
- Below Active Navbar, select “PCC Default Navbar + Online Rooms” from the drop-down menu and click the Apply button.
- You should now see Online Rooms on the navigation bar.
Option 2: If you are using your own custom Navbar
- Click on the Edit Course link from the navigation bar.
- Click on Navigation & Themes.
- Find the name of the custom navigation bar that you used, which has the active status next to it.
- Click the name of your custom navigation bar from the list.
- Click the Add Links button.
- From the Add Links window, check the box for Online Rooms and click the Add button. You should now see Online Rooms on the navigation bar. You can drag the link to move and arrange it in a different location of the navigation bar.
- Click the Save and Close button.
Step 2: Creating an Online Room
- Click Online Rooms from the navigation bar.
- Click the New Room button.
- Enter the Name of your room (e.g., “Online Office Hours”).
- Leave the Server Provider to “Collaborate”.
- Leave the Account Name to the default.
- Description is optional.
- Change the Room Visibility to “Public Room”.
- Availability for Start Date and Time and End Date and Time are optional. If you set the availability dates for one term, anyone who has access can re-use the room for that term.
- Click the Show Room Restrictions link to set the Advanced Properties
- Attendees raise their hand on entry (optional).
- All attendees join as Moderators (optional).
- Check the box for “Participants have unrestricted access to resources” (mandatory). This option will give students access to anything you may upload to the room.
- Check the box for “Moderators can view all private chats” (recommended). You may want to let students know that you can monitor their private chats..
- Leave the Archive Mode to Manual. This is an option to record your session manually.
- Checking the box for Send email notification is optional. Use it only if you plan to invite people who do not have access to your Desire2Learn course, such as a guest speaker. This setting will automatically send an email notifications on how to enter the online room
Optional: Add external attendees
If you plan to invite someone who does not have access to your Desire2Learn course:
- Click the Add Attendees button
- Click the Add External Attendee link.
- Enter an email address. (e.g., “email@example.com”). Separate multiple addresses using semicolons. If you wish to delete it, click the red x next to the email address under “Review Selected Items.”
- Click the Add button.
- Click the Add button to save your changes.
The external attendees’ email addresses will be listed under the Attendees. They will automatically have the default role as a “Participant.”
Optional: Change attendee roles:
- Click the participant’s role icon next to his or her name.
- Change the role to a Moderator or a Moderator – Limited from the drop-down list and click the Apply button.
- If you want to delete an attendee from the list, click the Delete icon next to the attendee’s name.
- Click the Save button.
Note: A thorough tutorial on using Blackboard Collaborate [moderator].