Creating and activating your course homepage
All courses are created with a default home page that was developed by Distance Education staff. You can customize the layout and appearance of your homepage by creating a custom homepage. You can add widgets to your custom homepage to add additional functionality and link to external content.
- Who is this for: Online Instructors
- What is required: A Desire2Learn course and a custom homepage
Create a new course homepage
Important: If you create a custom homepage, you will need to activate it each new term after you copy your content into your new course offering.
- Click Edit Course from you navbar
- Click Homepages.
- Click the action menu after the Course Default
- Select Copy from your options. This will make a copy of the default homepage for you to edit and customize.
- Click the title of your new copy.
- Adjust the name to something appropriate. (e.g. Jim’s BA101 Homepage.)
- It is recommended that you use the default homepage type which is the Basic format.
- If you decide to remove a widget, hover over the widget and click the X.
- To add widgets to either column, click the Add Widgets button at the bottom the column.
- Check the box for the widget(s) you want to add.
- To rearrange the order, hover over the widget you want to move, left mouse click it, then drag and drop it into its new location. You can drag from one column to another.
- When you have your homepage laid out click Save and Close.
Activate your course homepage
Important: If you create a custom homepage, you will need to activate it each new term after you copy your content into your new shell.
- Click Edit Course in your navbar.
- Select Homepages.
- Under the Create Homepage button at the top of the page you will see a heading for Active Homepage.
- Click the action menu by the title of the current navbar.
- Select your custom navbar.
- Click the Apply button.