Shareable Online Courses (SOC) and Takeover Course Assignments
Contact Dennis Hitchcox
Shareable Online Courses are used at PCC when divisions or a SAC determine there is a need to assign an online course to an instructor and he or she has not previously taught that course before. This occurs most often with high enrollment courses where multiple sections are offered.
Shareable Online Course (SOC) – a well-designed and accessible course that is copied and shared with other instructors to use the first time they teach a course. PCC Online Faculty Mentors and Distance Education Accessibility staff recommends, and the Division Dean approves, the SOC before it is shared with the instructor.
A Takeover Course Assignment – This arises when an instructor is assigned to teach a section of a course that he/she has never taught before and is provided with a copy of an existing SOC.
- Support high quality teaching and learning experiences for instructors and students.
- Provide as much flexibility as possible for departments to schedule needed sections with trained instructors.
- Provide instructors adequate time to learn how the SOC is designed and to prepare the course before teaching begins.
- See decision-making graphic at right for process details.
- An approved course can be assigned to an experienced online instructor any time up to six weeks prior to the start of the teaching term.
- Only approved SOCs are provided to instructors for Takeover Course Assignments.
- Requests can be made to copy and share an unapproved course for a takeover assignment. In such cases, a Dean may choose to waive certain college expectations.
Course Review Status
It is critical for the division to examine their existing online courses prior to making this kind of an assignment. Courses have one of four review statuses; approved, recently reviewed, in-progress (awaiting review), and un-reviewed. Recently reviewed, in-progress, and un-reviewed courses are not recommended for takeover assignments.
- Approved Course = New Development reviewed during or after Spring 2012, Revisions reviewed during or after Spring 2013
- Can be shared with trained or experienced online instructors with six weeks lead time
- Can be shared with new online instructors with one term lead time
- Recently Reviewed Course = Reviewed between Fall 2011 and Winter 2012
- Reviewed for Quality Matters course design, but not reviewed for accessibility
- Course Awaiting Review = In progress. This is a course that was approved for development or revision, but the work is not yet complete.
- Un-reviewed Course = No record of a review or reviewed prior to Fall 2011
Instructor Experience Status
- All instructors teaching online must have either been teaching online prior to 2008 or have completed the Online Instructor Orientation (OIO).
- New Online Instructor = An instructor who has never taught online at PCC and needs to complete the OIO; OIO is offered once per term and takes 6 weeks to complete.
- Trained or Experienced Online Instructor = An instructor who has completed PCC’s Online instructor Orientation training or who has been teaching online since prior to 2008.
Continue to the Shareable Online Course Take Over Request Form