Archive for the ‘Best practices’ Category
Jot down a quick, accessible equation (or formula)
- Quickly jot down equations by hand and get the cleanly generated MathML or LaTeX version of the equation to paste in to a discussion.
Posted July 21, 2014
Are your online learners adult learners?
- We who teach – especially those of us who teach online – are sometimes unaware of the assumptions we make about our students. Take the following quiz to check on some of your own assumptions: True or false: My students need to know why they need to know something before they will learn it. True […]
Posted July 15, 2014
It’s summer, and time to play!
- The annual Desire2Learn Fusion conference is coming up next week, and this year’s schedule includes sessions on Gamification and game-based learning. If you haven’t yet been exposed to these hot topics, Gamification is the use of game mechanics in instructional design to engage and motivate learners, and game based learning (GBL) is the use of […]
Posted July 7, 2014
Are students exceeding your Quiz time limit and submitting late?
- The way that D2L handles late quiz submissions can be somewhat mysterious. Learn how to make quizzes automatically submit when the time limit is up.
Posted June 30, 2014
The era of mobile learning: a revolution of true anytime, anywhere learning (part 1)
- This is the era where everyone is surrounded by technology. Do you see students around you using their tablets or smartphones to check their emails or do homework waiting at the bus stop? I rely heavily on my phone with my daily schedule and am always checking my messages and emails at least one every hour. There is a rapid rise of students accessing and completing coursework through mobile applications on devices, such as smartphones, tablets, or other devices. It is truly a revolution of true anytime, anywhere learning.
See the growth in users accessing our PCC Desire2Learn (D2L) website with mobile devices vs. computers from Google Analytic data. Learn how to create a mobile-friendly course. It’s the real power of mobile learning, learning at your fingertip.
Posted June 2, 2014
Keeping in touch with your online class using Notifications
- Keeping in touch with your class activities without being logged into your Desire2Learn account is easy with Notifications. By selecting an appropriate setting you can choose the type and amount of updates you receive.
Posted May 27, 2014
Looking for subject area media? Search Twitter for #YouTube
- Use a twitter hashtag search to find relevant media for your online courses.
Posted May 19, 2014
Making the most of publisher content
- Finding a text with great ancillaries was a win for me in creating a content rich course and a win for my students in their ability to successfully complete the course.
Posted May 12, 2014
An opportunity for self-reflection
- Use the QM Self Review tool to reflect on your course design.
Posted May 5, 2014
Another successful Subject Area Accessibility Study concludes!
- Faculty from CIS, CAS, and CS have finished a term-long study of accessibility issues unique to their disciplines. See what they learned from their work.
Posted April 28, 2014