Archive for the ‘Best practices’ Category
Why are my online discussions so boring?
- Why is it so much harder to facilitate a satisfying discussion online?
Posted December 9, 2013
Going beyond quizzes as the traditional learning assessment
- You can use quizzes beyond the traditional learning assessment. Using the Quizzes tool, you can increase students' participation in class with better preparation, review difficult concept which students missed using the quiz report, provide opportunity for your students to practice for upcoming tests and exams, and gather relevant data to assess students' progress.
Posted December 2, 2013
Choosing Due Dates
- The due dates you set for your course can have a significant impact on student success.
Posted November 25, 2013
Publishers and the (in)accessibility of their online materials
- Educational content must be accessible to all students. What does accessible mean, and what questions should I ask my publisher?
Posted November 18, 2013
Providing timely feedback to students
- This week’s topic may come across as a “well duh” concept, but timely feedback from an instructor is identified over and over as an important way to keep students engaged.
Posted November 12, 2013
Meeting students virtually through “Online Rooms”
- One characteristic of classroom learning that students and instructors miss in the online world is face-to-face synchronous interaction. Direct interaction with the instructor as well as with other students can stimulate engagement with the course content. When students are engaged in the learning experience, retention will improve. While it might not be possible for online […]
Posted November 4, 2013
Why apply the new D2L 10.1 look?
- Update your course to use the new navbar and homepage layouts to improve consistency for students.
Posted October 28, 2013
Help students monitor progress using Completion Tracking in Desire2Learn
- One key to being a successful online student is the ability to be self-motivated. The asynchronous nature of distance learning means students can miss the kinds of cues that would help keep them on track in a face to face class, such as showing up to a class and having to physically turn an assignment […]
Posted October 21, 2013
Sharing course materials with students
- Research shows that getting your students to engage with your course materials can improve their outcomes and completion, and the good news is it’s pretty easy to find incredible content that’s easy to include in your D2L course out on the web with a simple Google search. Providing real life context and opportunities to attach […]
Posted October 14, 2013
Get paid to create video for your distance learning course!
- Using media to improve your online course is an instructional best practice we highly encourage. We’ve listed some ways you can do this on our distance learning faculty support website’s ‘Enhance Your Course With Media’ section. After looking at this list you might have a great idea that you’re burning to produce, or maybe when […]
Posted October 7, 2013