Making the most of publisher content

Posted May 12, 2014 by

In the beginning

I remember the first online course I developed. When I started the  project, I thought it would be relatively straightforward. After all, I had been using Desire2Learn extensively for my face-to-face courses; this should be a piece of cake, right? I soon found that the phrase “piece of cake” did not apply to the development of an accessible or engaging online course.

At first, I worked with tools that would easily augment my existing course materials. But as I progressed, I found myself thinking that the course I was building not only looked boring, but I was seriously considering the ability of my students to learn the material without more resources. The question I constantly asked myself was “If I were taking this course, do I have all the tools necessary to accomplish this assignment?” As an instructor, I sometimes forget that what seems simple and straightforward to me can be the biggest hang-up for a student.

My online classroom philosophy

My philosophy is that my course shell is my classroom. I do not want the students to have to traverse beyond the my online classroom unless they are doing independent research. I believe that everything the student may need to understand the subject should be available from within my classroom. I do not believe that my teaching style is the best for all students, and therefore I think it is important they have study aids made easily available to them. Having these additional resources increases the chances there is an explanation of a concept that will connect with their unique learning style.

So, I just had to find the right resources to facilitate that goal. That was a journey all unto itself! I needed to start with the textbook, one that would support the independent nature of online learning.

Supporting the independent nature of online learning

Laptop with informational resources on screen

Linked from: Online Learning Insights http://onlinelearninginsights.files.wordpress.com

Successful online learners are good at independent study because they are generally self-motivated and self-disciplined. But just because successful online learners are motivated and disciplined, does not mean that I should leave them in the deep end of my subject matter without some sort of life-line other than sending me an email.

The first reference that online students generally turn to is their textbook. So, I wanted to find a textbook that would provide great student ancillaries that were freely available. Students pay a small fortune for their textbooks and, in my opinion, access to well-developed student ancillaries should be included in the cost. Not only that, but I did not want to re-invent any wheels if possible.

The PCC Query Guide outlines what is needed for a quality online course at PCC. The first thing a PCC instructor sees in module one of a new development shell is templates for an introduction and a conclusion. Wouldn’t it be nice if all publisher materials provided instructors with brief overviews and detailed summaries of the topics along with learning objectives and helpful hints for students? Unfortunately, not all publisher textbook content is made equal.

I teach economics and after a long search through introductory textbooks and their ancillaries, I found one that freely provided:

• Chapter Overviews
  • Chapter Learning Objectives, Instructional Objectives
  • Student Stumbling Blocks
  • Self-Quizzes
  • Historical pieces on concepts
  • Interactive Graphs
  • Advanced mathematical notes
  • Video Clips on nearly every economic concept
  • The first week’s chapter reading in PDF format
  • Additional worked problems
  • Test Banks

Wow! I hit a jackpot! Interactive graphs to boot! I was in instructor resource heaven and my students would not have to pay for anything more than their textbook. If they did not quite understand a concept from my lecture video, they could view one of the video clips. If they were history buffs, they could read up on the history behind economic concepts. If they were mathematical, they could look at the more advanced math notes. Here was a plethora of materials to appeal to a variety of student interests.

Final thoughts

image of mobile phone with multiple competing social media apps

Image: Instagram and other social media apps, Jason Howie

We are in an era where our online courses must compete against online entities such as Facebook and YouTube for our student’s limited time and attention. Making a content and resource rich online course has helped keep my students in my classroom and not out searching for additional content and getting distracted by the latest and greatest posts and uploads.

The wealth of ancillary content associated with my text was a great asset in the development of my course. I chose the ancillaries that matched my teaching style and supported my personally developed materials. As a result, my class averages are higher on all assignments and exams. In addition, my students tend to retain basic concepts from the first week and are able to reference and expand upon them in later weeks. Finding a text with great ancillaries was a win-win. It was a win for me in creating a content rich course and a win for my students in their ability to successfully complete the course.

Note: Sam Houston State University’s (SHSU) Online Newsletter posted an article in April of 2014 on Best Practices for Working With Publisher Content. It lists nine best practices for the use of publisher materials.

About Rondi Schei

Part-time Economics instructor at Portland Community College (PCC) and Portland State University (PSU). She is also a Online Faculty Mentor for a variety of disciplines at PCC and a Certified QM Peer Reviewer. more »

Comments

There are 2 responses to "Making the most of publisher content" . If you see a comment that doesn't belong please click the "x" and report it.

x by Heather Guevara 7 months ago

Rondi,
I’m wondering what your experiences have been with outages or other connectivity issues with outside resources. I once used an ancillary publisher program to supplement one my online courses. It was sometimes “down” and it really made students frustrated. Of course it wasn’t a PCC issue, but I was afraid it reflected negatively on the institution. Have some resources and publishers been more reliable than others? I’m not sure if it’s legit to list them here, but maybe we can chat about this sometime. Thanks for sharing!

x by Rondi Schei 7 months ago

Hi Heather,

You bring a very good point with the use of publisher digital learning solutions. While I am a proponent of using publisher content that is freely available to augment my online courses, I am not a huge proponent of their digital learning solutions right now for several key reasons.

1. Errors or inaccuracies with answers and the fact that the issue will not be resolved with your class.
2. Glitches and system “down time.”
3. The inaccessibility of the learning solution.
4. Having to input grades into D2L manually from the learning solution.

When I first came across the digital learning solution for my textbook, I thought it was the next best thing to sliced bread. But after using it for several terms, I too became quite frustrated. When I began development of my online course, I then found that it was not considered accessible. So, that is when I decided to come up with my own “learning solution” right in D2L. This way, I was able to minimize those four issues I listed above. If you are interested in exactly how I moved from using publisher digital learning solutions to just D2L or just want to discuss pros and cons of the publisher learning solutions, we can definitely chat about it!

Add to the discussion

PCC encourages you to add your voice to this page. Just remember that we take the time to look over each comment and reserve the right to remove submissions for any reason.