Most PCC online instructors are aware that we use the Quality Matters rubric as a tool to guide online course design at PCC. We also have access to a special self-review version of this tool at the QM website. As community college instructors within the Oregon system, with our statewide membership in Quality Matters we have the opportunity to apply the Quality Matters Self Review tool to our own online courses. This can be a great opportunity to reflect in depth on the design of a course and note feedback for our own future updates. One neat feature about this tool is that it includes direct access to the QM standards and detailed annotations, so it can be quite an informative process.
Your input on a Self Review can be saved and edited. Once completed, the results can be emailed or viewed online. The results generated by a self-review are kept confidential, accessible only to the individual instructor. Of course, we may choose to share our reflection as we wish. There is no limit to the number of self-reviews we can complete.
To access the Self Review tool:
- Go to the MyQM website and login. (First time visitors will need to create a MyQM account.)
- Select the Higher Education program tab.
- Expand the My Tools menu on the left side, and select Course Review System.
- Click on Start a Self Review.
- Note that there is a link to Annotations with every standard. Be sure to click on Save Self Review at the bottom of the page before exiting.
To add / edit later:
- Follow steps 1-3 above to go to the Course Review system.
- Expand the left side menu My Course Reviews, and select Self Reviews. You’ll be able to edit or start a new self-review.
Applying the Quality Matters Rubric workshop
If you would like to learn more about how to apply the Quality Matters rubric to your own course or to another course as a peer reviewer, you are invited to participate in the “Applying the Quality Matters Rubric” online workshop sometime in the future. It is an intensive two-week workshop with numerous learning activities facilitated by QM trainers within the Oregon Community College system. The next start date is June 17th, 2014. Please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions or would like to register. PCC gets a limited number of seats, so be sure to contact me soon if you’re interested.
One more simple self-reflection tool
The Quality Matters rubric is a very detailed well designed tool that is kept current based on the latest research. For a simpler approach to course design and self-reflection, you are also welcome to use our PCC Query Guide, a tool that is based on the Quality Matters rubric.