Presidential Student Ambassador Program
2014 Applications due August 4
What is the Student Ambassador Program?
The PCC Presidential Student Ambassador Program is an honorary group of student volunteers dedicated to serving and representing Portland Community College. PCC Presidential Student Ambassadors are selected to promote college activities and represent the college at special events on campus and in the community. Events include: PCC Day at the Capitol, PCC Presidential Forums, Portland City Club, local Rotary events, PCC fundraisers, PCC’s graduation ceremony, the PCC Gala, PCC scholarship functions, presidential lunches, and PCC Diamond Alumni events, among others.
What does a Student Ambassador do?
- Represent Portland Community College during college events (no more than 1–2 events per month).
- Develop an expanded knowledge of Portland Community College and our role in the community.
- Assist with tasks related to events put on by PCC departments.
- Work with diverse populations and provide tips on being a successful student.
- Attend quarterly lunch meetings and required trainings.
- Student Ambassadors will have an annual lunch with the PCC President.
- Receive exceptional leadership training from local business leaders, media and PR professionals, college faculty, elected officials, and other groups.
What are the benefits of becoming a Student Ambassador?
Employers, colleges and universities are looking for more than just good grades; they want community involvement and service! As a PCC Presidential Student Ambassador, you will develop a wide range of transferrable skills that will benefit you during your time in college and beyond. PCC Presidential Student Ambassadors will gain leadership skills that will help build your resume and enhance your university and scholarship applications. You will earn letters of recommendation, get connected with and serve your campus, network with elected officials and community leaders, and help students and the community learn more about Portland Community College.
Becoming a Student Ambassador-Qualifications
- Enrollment at Portland Community College in (or be registered for) at least 8 credits the quarter the position would begin.
- Maintenance of quarterly and cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
- Commitment of one academic year (e.g., Fall 2014–Spring 2015).
- Demonstration of strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exhibition of leadership, initiative, dependability, discipline, and enthusiasm.
PCC Presidential Student Ambassadors enjoy communicating with others, take pride in PCC, are open to learning new things, and have a commitment to diversity.