Board Code of Ethics - B 203
Board Code of Ethics
Each Board member will sign the PCC Board Code of Ethics as follows.
The Board commits itself to the very highest ethical conduct, in carrying out its requirements under state and federal laws.
I, ______________________, as a member of the Governing Board, hereby agree to:
- Recognize that the primary responsibility of the Board is to govern and evaluate the college to best meet the educational needs of the entire college district.
- Devote time, thought and study to the duties and responsibilities of a community college Board member so that I may grow in my ability to render effective and credible service; enhance my ability to function as a trustee through the study of contemporary educational issues as well as through attendance at workshops and conferences - state, local and national.
- Work with my fellow Board members in a spirit of harmony and cooperation in spite of differences of opinion that may arise during vigorous debate.
- Base my personal decision upon all available facts in each situation; vote my honest conviction in every case, unswayed by partisan bias of any kind; abide by and support the final majority decision of the board.
- Remember that as an individual I have no legal authority outside the meetings of the Board, and I will conduct any relationships with the community college staff, the local citizenry and news media on the basis of this fact. I agree that the Board Chairperson or designee serves as the official spokesperson and that the individual Board members will not represent themselves as speaking for the Board.
- Resist every temptation and outside pressure to use my position to benefit either myself or any other individual or agency apart from the total interest of the community college district.
- Review and analyze the college mission regularly.
- Bear in mind that the Board accomplishes its responsibility to govern and evaluate the college by adopting the policies by which the community college is to be governed, but that the administration of the educational program and the conduct of college business are the responsibility of the President.
- Welcome and encourage active participation by citizens in establishing policy.
- Assure the orderly operation of the Board by bringing potential agenda items to the Board Chair and President before bringing proposed agenda items to the Board table.
- Recognize that discussions of the Board in Executive Session are confidential to the extent provided in Oregon statute.
- Be scrupulous in requesting only authorized and legitimate reimbursement of expenses.
- Be familiar with the duties imposed by law upon me as a member of the Board of Directors; to understand those duties and powers as set forth on Oregon Revised Statutes Chapter 341; and to faithfully carry out those powers and duties to the best of my ability.
- Finally, to strive for the most effective community college board in a spirit of teamwork and devotion to public education as the greatest instrument for the preservation and perpetuation of our representative democracy.