Building futures for our Students and Communities
Portland Community College advances the region’s long-term vitality by delivering accessible, quality education to support the academic, professional, and personal development of the diverse students and communities we serve.
Who We Are
Portland Community College is a public, multi-campus, comprehensive community college serving the lifelong learning needs of our students. We offer college transfer programs; career and technical education programs; adult basic skills; opportunities to develop English as a second language; high school completion and dual credit; community and continuing education programs; and service-learning opportunities that foster the development of civic responsibility and engagement. Through extensive partnerships with business, industry, labor, educational institutions and the public sector, we provide training and learning opportunities for the local and state workforce and promote economic and community development.
- Effective teaching and student development programs that prepare students for their roles as citizens in a democratic society in a rapidly changing global economy
- An environment that is committed to diversity as well as the dignity and worth of the individual
- Leadership through innovation, continuous improvement, efficiency, and sustainability
- Leadership through the effective use of technology in learning and all College operations
- Being a responsible member of the communities we serve by actively participating in their development
- Quality, lifelong learning experiences that helps students to achieve their personal and professional goals
- Continuous professional and personal growth of our employees and students including emphasis on fit and healthy lifestyles that decrease disease and disability
- Academic Freedom and Responsibility - creating a safe environment where competing beliefs and ideas can be openly discussed and debated
- Collaboration predicated upon a foundation of mutual trust and support
- An agile learning environment that is responsive to the changing educational needs of our students and the communities we serve – making students marketable for jobs in the future and promoting economic development
- The public’s trust by effective and ethical use of public and private resources
- Access: Access to learning opportunities will be expanded through the cultivation of community and business partnerships.
- Diversity: Lifelong learning opportunities will be accessible to all and enriched by the diversity of our students, faculty, and staff.
- Quality Education: Educational excellence will be supported through assessment of learning and practicing continuous improvement and innovation in all that we do.
- Student Success: Outstanding teaching, student development programs and support services will provide the foundation for student skill development, degree completion and university transfer.
- Economic, Workforce, and Community Development: Training provided to individuals, community and business partners will be aligned and coordinated with local economic, educational and workforce needs.
- Sustainability: Effective use and development of college and community resources (human, capital and technological) will contribute to the social, financial and environmental well-being of communities served.